I’ve been doing some work on the
Whippoorwill shawl that started off as the Whippoorwill and is now entirely something else. I decided to end it with a nice little veriegated yarn as a ruffle. The only problem is that to get the ruffle effect you have to double the number of stitches on the needles. Do the math: I had 565 (or thereabouts) and so now I have 1130 (or thereabouts). Sock-weight yarn (for you non-knitters, very small yarn in diameter). Eleven-hundred stitches PER ROW. It took me about an hour last night to do one row. I was so drained that I couldn’t even fathom doing the next row, so I packed it right back up into its little baggie. It can wait.
I went to my first Ravinia concert this summer. We heard lots of Tchaikovsky, including my favorite: the 1812 Overture. The rain held off, just giving us a little sprinkle for about 20 minutes, but nothing worth of an umbrella. All-in-all a perfect evening.